June 16, 2018 – San Juan Capistrano, CA – The Oaks International Grand Prix Field glimmered in the late afternoon sunlight as seventeen horse and rider combinations competed in the Blenheim June Classic 2 Grand Prix, presented by The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. With an exuberant crowd on the hillside as well as in the VIP, the air was buzzing with the anticipation of great sport. Carly Anthony and the 12-year-old gelding Chacco were the only double clear duo of the day for the win.
The top six horse and rider combinations in the first round were brought back to ride Anderson Lima’s jump-off track, which included many inside turns and a combination. In this unique dedicated jump-off format, Alexandra Biederman and Irish Ollie, LLC’s Sunday Cruise returned with a score of one time fault, ultimately finishing second.
When asked about Lima’s track, Anthony commented, “The course designer this week built fluid courses and the horses all jumped spectacular. It was challenging enough, but left the horses and riders feeling confident.”
Getting more familiar with Chacco with each ride, Anthony put her trust in her teammate. “I started riding him in January of this year. He’s done a lot of Grand Prix classes and has been ridden by other great riders, including Mavis Spencer and Bert Mutch, and had great results. He is a very competitive and kind horse.”
Hugh ‘Bert’ Mutch and Cristar earned the SmartPak Fastest in the West award for their speedy effort in the jump-off.
The Blenheim EquiSports June Classic 2 show wraps up tomorrow. June Classic 3 kicks off on Tuesday with the return of the popular American Tradition of Excellence Equitation Challenge, presented by Whitethorne. The ponies will have a chance to shine in a Model Clinic, presented by Balmoral, as well as the West Coast Pony Challenge, presented by USHJA Zone 10, and a USHJA Pony Hunter Derby. The Markel Insurance 1.45m Jumper Classic Series will continue with a class next Saturday afternoon.
$30,000 Blenheim June Classic 2 Grand Prix, presented by The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Six competitors return to jump-off; time decides in the event of equality of total faults from both rounds
Place – Entry Number – Horse – Rider – Owner – Faults/Time
1. 734 – Chacco – Carly Anthony – Neil Jones Equestrian, Inc. – 0/0/44.158
2. 763 – Sunday Cruise – Alexandra Biederman- Irish Ollie, LLC – 1/5/47.581
3. 326 – Cristar – Hugh Mutch – Hugh Mutch – 0/8/39.594
4. 789 – Google – Felipo Godinho – Sergio Nieto – 0/8/42.606
5. 709 – Valentin – Daniel Pedraza – Daniel Pedraza – 0/8/43.480
6. 302 – Milan IV -Delaney Flynn – Delaney Flynn – 4/12/43.237
7. 781 – Elexo – Maria Jose De La Torre – Maria Jose De La Torre – 4/80.161
8. 231 – Disco Lady – Taylor Harris – Harris Equestrian, LLC- 4/82.644
9. 612 – Dakar VDL – Shawn Casady – HKC Collection, LLC – 7/86.051
10. 610 – Campitello 5 – Shawn Casady – Highpoint Farm, LLC – 8/77.998
11. 685 – Dexceminka – Danielle Lean – Danielle Lean – 8/80.685
12. 716 – Bella Sofia – Michelle Parker – Antonio Ramos – 9/84.665
Photos by McCool