Ottawa, Ontario –Ireland’s Jordan Coyle riding Mojo TSP blazed to victory in the $7,500 Speed Derby, presented by Millar Brooke Farm, on Sunday, July 15, to conclude the Ottawa National Horse Show at Wesley Clover Parks in Ottawa, ON.
When Coyle entered the grass ring midway through the 17-horse starting field, he was chasing the leading time of 83.30 seconds set by Kelly Soleau-Millar of Wellington, FL, and Centre Ice, her 16-year-old grey Canadian-bred gelding.
Coyle and Mojo TSP, a nine-year-old Holsteiner gelding owned by Top Line Sporthorse International, bravely tackled the speed course set on Wesley Clover Parks’ grand prix field, which featured natural obstacles such as a steep bank and intimidating devil’s dyke. The pair left all the rails in place and raced through the timers in 80.18 seconds to move to the top of the leaderboard.
Kelley Robinson of Russell, ON, riding Lise came the closest to catching Coyle’s time. They were fast, but not fast enough, settling for second place with a time of 82.97 seconds. Soleau-Millar’s time with Centre Ice held up for third place while 17-year-old Sam Walker of Nobleton, ON, took fourth with a time of 83.77 seconds riding Laconia 7 after a four-second penalty was added to his time for a rail down. New Zealand’s Kirk Webby had the fastest time of the day, 77.72 seconds, but an eight-second penalty for a final time of 85.72 left him in fifth with The Irishman.
“I love going fast and speed derbies, especially when it’s four seconds added for each rail, give you a real chance to go fast,” said Coyle, 25, of the format that sees four seconds added to the rider’s time for each rail down.
While the Irish native has jumped numerous derbies in the past, it was the first time his mount had attempted a speed derby course.
“He’s very brave and nothing really fazes him,” said Coyle, who began riding Mojo TSP at the Winter Equestrian Festival in Wellington, FL, earlier this year. “He never did any schooling on the natural obstacles either, so I’m really happy with him today.”
Coyle is making his Ottawa Equestrian Tournaments debut and will continue competing in the nation’s capital during the CSI3* Ottawa International Horse Show, running July 18 to 22.
“Everything here has been great so far, and the field is perfect,” said Coyle, who hails from Northern Ireland.“The grass here is as good as you’d get anywhere in the world.”
Speed continued to be the name of the game as horses and dogs then took the grass field for the entertaining $2,500 Canine-Equine Relay, presented by Royal LePage TEAM Realty. Horse and rider combinations negotiated a show jumping course before their canine partners from Dogz Canine Sports Centre in Nepean, ON, tackled their own agility course.
Marcus Davis of Haliburton, ON, riding Viekie and his canine partner, the Australian Shepherd Zuni, teamed up to post the winning time of 76.83 seconds. Finishing runner-up with a time of 79.88 seconds was Dutch competitor Frank Hendriks riding Nouvelle Bleue and his canine teammate, Stanley the Border Collie. Third place went to Christine Carlsen of North York, ON, riding Mise le Meas and Antic, an adorable Miniature American Shepherd, with a combined time of 80.80 seconds.
World-class equestrian competition at Wesley Clover Parks resumes on Wednesday, July 18, with the CSI3* Ottawa International Horse Show, running through Sunday, July 22. Admission to the CSI3* Ottawa International Horse Show is free, with donations to Wesley Clover Parks’ retired horse program gratefully accepted. Spectators are encouraged to come out and enjoy all of the family-friendly activities that the Ottawa Equestrian Tournaments have to offer.
Visit www.OttawaEquestrianTournaments.com for more information on the Ottawa National and CSI3* Ottawa International Horse Shows. Find the latest updates, photos, and information by following Ottawa Equestrian Tournaments on Facebook here.
$7,500 Speed Derby, presented by Millar Brooke Farm – Sunday, July 15
Rider/ Hometown/ Horse/ Time
1. Jordan Coyle/ Ireland/ Mojo TSP/ 80.18
2. Kelley Robinson/ Russell, ON/ Lise/ 82.97
3. Kelley Soleau-Millar/ United States/ Centre Ice/ 83.30
4. Sam Walker/ Nobleton, ON/ Laconia 7/ 83.77
5. Kirk Webby/ New Zealand/ The Irishman/ 85.72
6. Jenny Swanson/ United States/ Chuck Blue/ 90.11
7. Vanessa Robert/ Saint Bruno, QC/ Joey van de Nieuwburghoeve/ 92.59
8. Lauren Hayes/ Orangeville, ON/ Faloma/ 92.89
9. Stephanie Frei/ United States/ EWSZ Olympia/ 93.95
10. Breana Zielonka/ Ottawa, ON/ Darino/ 94.76
$2,500 Canine Equine Relay, presented by Royal LePage TEAM Realty – Sunday, July 15
Rider/ Hometown/ Horse/ Dog/ Time
1. Marcus Davis/ Haliburton, ON/ Viekie/ Zuni/ 76.83
2. Frank Hendriks/ The Netherlands/ Nouvelle Bleue/ Stanley/ 79.88
3. Christine Carlsen/ North York, ON/ Mise le Meas/ Antic/ 80.80
4. Kevin Maxie/ Erin, ON/ Carino/ Skipper 80.91
5. Jennifer Sarsfield/ Canning, NS/ Arctic/ Liberty 82.39
6. Alexandra Millar/ Flesherton, ON/ Egor Ledger/ 87.30
7. Jacki Forgione/ Burlington, ON/ Tallin’s Camero/ Savvy/ 87.47
8. Natasha Begin/ Fry Pontiac, QC/ Evening Rose/ Image/ 89.12
9. Brianna Ballard/ St-Lazare, QC/ Jazz Air/ Tuula/ 91.52
10. Clementine Arcuri/ Quebec, QC/ Sydney des 3 Ruisseaux/ Amber/ 91.91