BY MOLLY SORGE, JUMP MEDIA
Over 1,400 top hunter and jumper riders from across the nation and abroad will be heading to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania for the 2018 Pennsylvania National Horse Show (PNHS), October 11-20. One of the country’s oldest and largest indoor horse shows, the PNHS returns to the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and Expo Center, the horse show’s historic host venue since 1945, where riders will compete for over $500,000 prize money and prestigious championship titles.
There have been significant changes for this year’s 73rd annual PNHS including increased prize money, an improved schedule, and the installation in the Equine Arena (main schooling ring) of “Superior Riding Surface (SRS)” footing from Footing First to go with the world-class ESI footing in the main arena and small schooling ring. The famed show features eight National Championships, including the Dover Saddlery/US Hunter Seat Equitation Medal Final which has spawned some of the sport’s most elite names, as well as the Neue Schule/USEF National Junior Jumper Individual and Team Championships. The show also features Therapeutic Riding Championships.
With an increase of over thirty percent in prize money for the Grand Prix, a star-studded field of international horses and riders can be expected for this year’s $132,000 Grand Prix de Penn National, the thrilling culminating competition of the PNHS. Prize money has also been increased to $50,000 in The PA Big Jump speed competition. All Open Jumper competitions will be conducted under FEI rules, with four classes counting toward the Longines FEI World Jumping Rankings List.
The 2018 PNHS will continue to host three North American League (NAL) Jumper Finals and two NAL Hunter Finals – all with increased prize money of $12,500 per final! This year’s show will also offer a new combined Amateur and Amateur-Owner Jumper 1.35m section and increased entry numbers for the Green Hunter 3′ and Green Hunter 3’3″ Divisions.
Entertainment highlights include:
- Saturday, Oct. 13 – 1:00-4:00 p.m.: Family Fun Day Fun for ALL! Crafts, Draft Horse Wagon Rides, Caricature Artist, Chipper the Pony, Story Telling by Local Authors, Meet & Greet Miss Pennsylvania and Behind the Scene Tours
- Wednesday, Oct. 17: “Pony Up for Pink” with the Pennsylvania Breast Cancer Coalition; $15,000 Dash for the Cash
- Thursday evening, Oct. 18: $50,000 Pennsylvania Big Jump; First Capital Drumline Entertainment
- Friday afternoon, Oct. 19: “Foundation Friday” Therapeutic Riding Championships and Award to the Therapy Horse of the Year
- Friday evening, Oct. 19: $35,000 Keystone Classic Speed Stake; Polo Demo from Garrison Forest School
- Saturday evening, Oct. 20: Olympians ride in the $132,000 Grand Prix de Penn National; Stunt Dog Productions Entertainment with Meet & Greet at 5:30 in Main Lobby
The PNHS also offers a huge variety of shopping opportunities. Open daily during the show from 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., more than 60 specialty boutiques on two levels offer hours of shopping for one-of-a-kind products including fine arts, antiques, gifts, horse tack, equestrian clothing, accessories and much more.
There are many planned attractions both inside and outside the arena all under one roof and there is something for everyone at the PNHS. Many days have FREE admission, parking is always FREE and children 10 and under are FREE too!
For more information, updates, promotions, vendor information, tickets,and more, please visit www.PANational.org or call (717) 770-0222.