Equestrians are passionate about their sport. However, equestrian riders also experience joint pain that is usually felt in the knees, hip area, and the lower back. Joints serve as a shock absorber from the horse’s movement, which is why rider tension is considered the main reason why the joints get sore.
Luckily, cannabidiol or CBD, an active compound found in hemp and cannabis, can help treat joint pain without the psychoactive or “high” effect. In this post, you’ll learn how CBD can help treat your body pains, specifically joint pain in equestrian riders.
CBD Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties to Help Relieve Joint Soreness
Equestrian disciplines impact an equestrian rider’s joints in different ways. Hunt seat, cross country, and jumping all require an equestrian rider to maintain a good balance in a two-point position. In that way, the greatest impact is delivered to the lower back and the knees.
An equestrian rider needs to sit up straight on the horse saddle during western, dressage, and endurance riding, which can significantly affect the hip joints. Acute or chronic joint pain is usually associated with tenderness or swelling on a specific area. Sprains or strains result in joint pain, which causes a tear to the muscles or tendons surrounding the joints.
It’s a good thing that CBD oil and other CBD preparations are now available to provide proven pain relief to equestrian riders. CBD can help reduce joint soreness caused by the movements and disciplines that equestrian riders perform.
Here are the facts about CBD and how it can help relieve soreness of the joints and joint pain:
- CBD is a cannabinoid compound or active compound of hemp and cannabis that attaches to the specialized immune system and brain receptors. For instance, CBD attaches to the body’s CB2 receptor, which plays a vital role in managing immune function, pain, and inflammation.
- CBD affects how body receptors respond to various signals to help reduce pain and inflammation.
- In 2011, a study showed that CBD could reduce inflammatory pain by affecting the response of rats in pain stimuli. In 2016, a study found that CBD topical applications can help relieve inflammation and pain associated with arthritis.
- CBD is a safe treatment for osteoarthritis joint pain, as shown in a study in 2017.
CBD Has Analgesic Effects That Greatly Help Equestrian Riders
Equestrian riders need strong muscles to make joints more stable, reducing joint impact with the horse’s movement. The back muscles, abdomen, shoulder muscles, hamstrings, calves, quads, and glutes are the muscle groups equestrian riders use in riding. However, the lack of flexibility, weakness, and pain can lead to balancing problems on the saddle.
With these factors, a cycle of tensions are created, and the equestrian rider tends to have tensed muscles and poor balance, which can negatively impact riding. Also, the horse responds back with tension, so the muscles, tendons, and ligaments surrounding the joints remain supple when moving with the cadence and rhythm of the horse.
CBD can help reduce joint pain because it has analgesic or anti-pain properties. Here’s how CBD works in relieving joint pain:
- Experts believe that CBD can help relieve pain by interacting with serotonin receptors, playing a crucial role in anxiety, depression, and pain.
- CBD is an indiscriminate molecule that helps reduce joint pain and inflammation by interacting with immune and brain receptors.
- Because of the proven analgesic effects of CBD, Sativex was formulated. It is a cannabis-based drug that contains a 1:1 ratio of THC and CBD. This drug is already approved in many countries and used in treating neuropathic pain and severe pain.
CBD Helps Boost Mood and Promotes Better Sleep
Like any other sport, equestrian riders also need enough rest and sleep because there’s a psychological connection between riding and body responses, like pain and stress. The psychological or mental attitude of equestrian riders is important for their overall fitness and performance.
Negative emotional or mental responses create a lack of trust and a sense of doubt. These factors can lead to body rigidity, joint pain and stiffness, and tensed muscles, which affect performance. CBD can help equestrian riders by boosting their mood and promoting better sleep.
Research shows that CBD can increase the overall amounts of sleep and helps reduce insomnia. Also, CBD can improve sleep among people suffering from chronic pain because CBD interacts with GABA receptors and serotonin receptors in the brain, which play a vital role in mood, sleep, and pain regulation.
CBD is truly a remarkable cannabinoid that can help many equestrian riders reduce joint pain. Because CBD has natural analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and relaxing effects, equestrian riders can benefit from pain relief, reduced joint swelling, better sleep, and improved moods. Boost your riding performance by fighting joint pain using CBD oil and other CBD products.