Caring For Your Horse’s Hooves In The Summer Months
the summer months, your horse’s hooves can different kinds of stressryhard ground a
Understand The Structure Of The Hoof
structure of the hoof:
- Coronary Band – This is the top of the hoof and
- Periople – The outer hoof layer that protects the wall. It regulates
moisture content within the horn.
- Hoof Wall – keratin hard, protective
layer internal parts of the
- Sole –sensitive non-weight bearing
- Frog – This is the triangular structure extending from the heel to
around halfway down the foot. It absorbs concussion, provides grip through the
weight-bearing surface and helps circulation.
- Digital Cushion – This is
between the pedal bone and deep flexor tendon, which absorbs concussion upon
impact with the ground.
- Lateral Cartilage – This protects the coffin joint.
- Laminae – These are supportive structures, offering protection and
support for the pedal bone.
Choose Feed With The Right Nutrients
To give your horse’s hooves the best chance in summer, it’s important to feed. You’ll need to ensure your horse is getting enough biotin, calcium and zinc in their diet in order to .
Calcium in alfalfa.Studies suggest that iotin, can