Beat the Bugs this season.
Summer will be here before you know it and after record rainfall in much of the country, our equine friends are going to need all the help they can get with bug protection. From internal protection in the form of supplements, external sprays, and protective gear, The Plaid Horse 2020 Fly Guide has you covered!
1. Springtime Bug Off Garlic (springtimeinc.com)
Consists of air-dried garlic granules that provide a safe 24-hour shield against flies, ticks, mosquitoes, gnats, “no see ums,” and other biting insects. Excellent for horsefly control! A safe alternative to chemical products, Springtime Bug Off garlic promotes friendly bacteria in the digestive tract (prebiotic), supports a healthy immune system, and is a great source of dietary sulfur, including MSM. Retail $42.
2. WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Airflow Detach-A-Neck Mesh Sheet (weatherbeeta.com)
The WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Airflow II Detach-A-Neck offers a soft durable polyester mesh with NEW Ultra belly wrap and full wrap tail flap for premium protection. Ezi-Clip front closure, traditional side gusset for natural movement, 210T nylon lined shoulders, mane and tail flap and elasticized, adjustable and removable leg straps.
Offers 70+ UV Block. $124.99.
3. SmartPak Fine Mesh Silent Riding Fly Mask (smartpakequine.com)
The SmartPak Deluxe Fine Mesh Silent Riding Fly mask is your new “go-to” for a peaceful and quiet ride during fly season! A breathable fine mesh fly mask that will keep flies out of your horse’s face during your ride. Featuring neoprene ears that help cancel out noise for a peaceful and quiet ride. The forelock hole and adjustable hook & loop closure help ensure the perfect fit for a comfortable ride. $34.95.
4. The Nervous Tick Spray (www.thenervoustick.com)
4. The Nervous Tick Spray comes in 8oz and 16oz bottles and is hand blended top grade EPA approved essential oils that deter ticks, gnats, mosquitoes, and flies. You can find the Nervous Tick online and at local stores in Litchfield County Connecticut. A 16oz bottle of the Nervous Tick Spray is $19.99; an 8oz bottle is $12.99.
5. Centaur Got Flies? Fine Mesh Fly Mask with Fringe (centaurhorsecare.com)
Fine polyester mesh protects your horse from midges and small flies, while the fringe nose’s full movement swishes pests away. Features durable 3-D Airmesh cap and jowl with silky spandex ears and double hook & loop coverage. MSRP $19.95.
6. Mackey USA Flying Frogs Fly Mask & Matching Fly Boots (mackeyusa.com)
Made with a heavy duty PVC coated mesh for function as well as a fleece binding which adds comfort and prevents chafing. Features double locking closure and protects from biting insects. Breathable with 73% UV protection. Mask: $38. Boots: $40.
7. Mackey Bee Mine Fly Mask with Detachable Nose (mackeyusa.com) $34.
8. Mackey Racer Blue Check Fly Mask with Ears and Detachable Nose. (mackeyusa.com) $38.
9. Shoo-Fly Brush Fly Spray Applicator Brush (shooflybrush.com)
The most important brush you’ll ever use on your horse. Its easy-to-hold handle makes grooming and applying fly spray a breeze. The bristles are the right mixture for applying the fly spray with minimal waste of expensive spray and, when you spray it on the brush, it’s less likely to get on your clothes and hands. Your horse will appreciate having the fly spray applied this way. Makes for a super unique gift. $36.
10. Don’t Touch Me Outdoor Body Spray (annieoakley.com)
Enjoy the great outdoors with Annie Oakley’s Don’t Touch Me Outdoor Body Spray. Smells great while naturally deodorizing and moisturizing your skin without attracting pesky critters. Made with a blend of the highest quality pure essential oils with uplifting notes of lemon, cocoa, and vanilla, and created like a fine fragrance you expect from Annie Oakley. Child & pet safe, non-greasy, eco-friendly, smells great, all-natural. Retail $13.99.
11. Hilton Herbs Bye Bye Itch (hiltonherbsusa.com)
Formulated to be fed to horses and ponies to encourage natural resistance to allergens and skin irritation through improving skin and cellular integrity and cleansing toxins from the body. Designed to be fed in the months prior to and throughout the “itching” season. Use in conjunction with Bye Bye Itch lotion for optimum results.
Originally from the April 2020 Issue.