Nearly 90 entries took to the Stadium for what has aptly been nicknamed “Derby Friday” at World Equestrian Center — Ocala to compete in the $20,000 WEC Hunter Derby 3’6″ – 3’9″, the $15,000 WEC Hunter Derby 3′ Open and the $15,000 WEC Hunter Derby 3′ Non Pro. The courses for the classes were designed by Joe Carnicom of Toledo, Ohio, and featured inviting natural fences and even incorporated a charming replica of World Equestrian Center Chapel.
$20,000 WEC HUNTER DERBY 3’6″ – 3’9″
The $20,000 WEC Hunter Derby 3’6″ – 3’9″ saw 19 entries vying for the win. Competition was fierce with scores reaching well into the 90s, but Havens Schatt prevailed, taking 1st and 2nd place aboard Kelly Corrigan’s Diatendro (Diarado x Cobina) and Ken and Amy Wexler LLC’s Cascartini, respectively.
Schatt and Kelly Corrigan’s Diatendro (Diarado x Cobina) prepared for this afternoon’s derby by taking several top placings in the Performance Hunters at the ESP Holiday Finale just two weeks ago. The duo proved unbeatable today, laying down a foot-perfect first round, taking three high options for a score of 88. Schatt and the 9-year-old Hanoverian stallion returned early in the handy round to accommodate for her multiple rides, again taking 3 high options for a score of 89, which gave them a combined score of 177 to ultimately win the class.
Schatt and Ken and Amy Wexler LLC’s Cascartini also earned top placings at the ESP Holiday Finale in the High Performance/Green Hunters, readying them for the 3’6″-3’9″ derby. The pair was flawless in the first round, taking three high options for a score of 91. When they returned for the handy round, Schatt piloted the Holsteiner gelding through tidy inside turns to fences 5 and 8, taking two high options for a score of 82, bringing their overall total score to 173 for 2nd place.
Morgan Ward also delivered fantastic rides in the class aboard Bruce Green’s Cypress (Quidam De Revel SF x Kassini). Ward and the 14-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding took all four high options in the first round for a score of 84, then returned for the handy round, hugging the inside track and taking all four high options. The pair earned a score of 87 for a total score of 171, moving them into 3rd place.
$20,000 WEC Hunter Derby 3’6″ – 3’9″ Results
- Diatendro, Havens Schatt – 88 | 89 | 177
- Cascartini, Havens Schatt – 91 | 82 | 173
- Cypress, Morgan Ward – 84 | 87 | 171
- MTM Lolah Lol, Dorrie Douglas – 76 | 86 | 162
- Lafitte De Muze, Amanda Steege – 74.75 | 85 | 159.75
- S&L Lion King, Dorrie Douglas – 80 | 78 | 158
- Vaillero, Nicole Lyvere – 75.5 | 78.5 | 154
- Chatham, Jake Parker Wymard – 72 | 81 | 153
- Carsten S, Jennifer Tate – 72.5 | 79 | 151.5
- Checkpoint Charlie, Sam Berry – 74.5 | 76 | 150.5
$15,000 WEC DERBY 3′ OPEN
The $15,000 WEC Derby 3′ Open saw a field of 36 highly competitive entries. Still on a roll from her win in yesterday’s $20,000 Welcome Prix 1.45m aboard MTM Farm’s MTM Reve Du Paradis (Crown Z x Kaline de Semilly), Tracy Fenney took home another blue ribbon in the derby aboard MTM Farm’s MTM Animated (Swarovski x Kirunett).
Fenney and MTM Farm’s MTM Animated (Swarovski x Kirunett) took to the course early in the order in the first round, setting a high standard with a score of 90. Fenney and the 6-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding regularly take top placings in the Green Hunters, setting them up nicely for the class today. When they returned for the handy round near the end of the order, Fenney and MTM Animated chose the inside track and all four high options for a score of 86, bringing their overall score to 176 for 1st place.
Havens Schatt also found success in the $15,000 WEC Derby 3′ Open aboard Ainsley Sadlo’s Kesh (Kalaslesa De Semily). Schatt and the 9-year-old Oldenburg mare wowed the judges for a score of 92 in the first round, then returned for the handy round laying down another impressive course for a score of 81.5. This brought their overall total to 173.5 for a 2nd place finish.
Holly Shepherd and Triompf (Tangelo Van De Zuuthoeve x Etriompf), whom she owns with Loretta Patterson, were hot on Schatt and Kesh’s trail. Shepherd and the 16-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding earned a score of 83 in the first round before returning for the handy round to earn a score of 90. Their total score of 173 moved them easily into 3rd place.
$15,000 WEC Derby 3′ Open Results
- MTM Animated, Tracy Fenney – 90 | 86 | 176
- Kesh, Havens Schatt – 92 | 81.5 | 173.5
- Triompf, Holly Shepherd – 83 | 90 | 173
- Grand Tour, Melissa Donnelly – 82.85 | 89 | 171.85
- MTM Fashion, Jennifer Ritucci – 82.25 | 88 | 170.25
- Cypress, Timothy Maddrix – 89 | 81 | 170
- Appointed, Tommi Clark – 82.75 | 82 | 164.75
- Ciribati, Kyle Muchler – 83.5 | 76 | 159.5
- MTM Dashing, Dorrie Douglas – 84 | 72 | 156
- Valrhona, Jake Parker Wymard – 81.5 | 69 | 150.5
$15,000 WEC DERBY 3′ NON PRO
Thirty-three entries filled the $15,000 WEC Derby 3′ Non Pro. Several entries earned scores into the 80s, but it was Christopher Coberley and Fox Meadow Farm’s No Introduction that earned the blue ribbon.
Christopher Coberley and Fox Meadow Farm’s No Introduction have taken several blue ribbons in World Equestrian Center derbies in Wilmington, Ohio, and brought their A-game to today’s class. Coberley and the 13-year-old Warmblood gelding went last in the order in the first round of the derby earning an 88, the highest score of the first round. The pair returned last in the handy round, earning a score of 83 for a total of 171 for the win.
Gentry Beresford claim 2nd and 3rd place aboard her own Camero (Calido 1 x Golden Queen) and Higgs (For Pleasure x Verdi), respectively. Beresford and Camero, a 10-year-old Holsteiner gelding, earned scores of 80 and 85 for a total of 165 and a 2nd place finish. She and Higgs, an 8-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding, earned scores of 80.5 and 68.5 for an overall total of 149, rounding out 3rd place.
$15,000 WEC Derby 3′ Non Pro Results
- No Introduction, Christopher Coberley – 88 | 83 | 171
- Camero, Gentry Beresford – 80 | 85 | 165
- Higgs, Gentry Beresford – 80.5 | 68.5 | 149
- Spotify, Alexandra Hendelman – 77 | 70 | 147
- Gabriel, Ellen Toon – 87 | 59.5 | 146.5
- Salem, Paige Beisel – 73 | 73 | 146
- Erosmith, Annie Walsh – 74.5 | 69 | 143.5
- Orlon, Margot Peroni – 82 | 61 | 143
- Cashmero, Lindsey Ward – 75 | 67 | 142
- Show Me, Madeline Brooks – 74.25 | 66 | 140.25
Photos courtesy of Andrew Ryback Photography.