Upperville, Va. – June 11, 2021 – International show jumping competition continued Friday at the 168th Upperville Colt & Horse Show where 42 athletes aimed for the top prize in the $73,000 Upperville Welcome Stake CSI4*, presented by Rivers Edge Farm and Bikoff Equestrian. In a wire-to-wire victory during a 13-horse jump-off Ireland’s Jordan Coyle reigned supreme with Ariso. The luck of the Irish was in the air as fellow Irishman Nicky Galligan scored the second place award with Javas Miss Jordan. Alex Matz (USA) and Cashew CR rounded out the top three, while Coyle also claimed the fourth place honors with his second mount Centriko Volo.
Sixteen athletes qualified for the tiebreaker after mastering Marina Azevedo’s (BRA) first round track, which featured a triple bar, a triple combination and a double combination. Only 13 opted to return for the jump-off, which included multiple inside options and a long gallop to the final oxer.
Coyle was the first to return for the final test, speeding around the first inside turn and leaving strides out in every line. He set an unbeatable pace in a clear 34.41 seconds with Elan Farm’s Ariso, a 10-year-old Hanoverian gelding by Casall La Silla. His Irish teammate Galligan came the closest to catching him with his own Javas Miss Jordan, a 12-year-old Irish Sport Horse mare, whom he cleared the course with in a time of 35.02 seconds.
Matz was just one second shy of the leading time, clearing the track in 35.41 seconds with Dorothy Matz’ 13-year-old Holsteiner gelding Cashew CR for the third place honors. In the middle of the tiebreaker, Coyle returned with his second horse Centriko Volo, a 9-year-old Oldenburg gelding owned by Celtic Park LLC. He was once again fast and clear with a time of 36.09 seconds that would be good enough for fourth place.
Coyle was confident his lead would hold up with Ariso despite the top riders coming behind him. Every fence came up perfectly out of stride, allowing Coyle to push the naturally fast and careful gelding all the way to the finish line. The winning combination now has their eye on the biggest purse of the week, planning to compete in Sunday’s $213,300 Upperville Jumper Classic CSI4*.
FROM THE WINNER’S CIRCLE
Jordan Coyle– $73,000 Upperville Welcome Stakes CSI4* Winner
On the jump-off :
“It was one of those jump-offs that if I really think about it, even if I did it 100 times, I could not do it better than I did it today. My horse was lovely.”
On Centriko Volo:
“He is only a young horse. I think a lot of him, but I am trying to bring him along as best I can. I chose not to go flat out with him.”
On his confidence that he had a winning jump-off time:
“I just knew that I was fast enough. I knew that I did as few strides as possible in every line and I had a faster horse. My horse can always go fast, that’s for sure.”
On his plans for the rest of the week:
“I am going to jump Ariso in the [$213,300 Upperville Jumper Classic CSI4] and I will jump Centriko tomorrow again in the Speed Class.”
$73,000 Upperville Welcome Stakes CSI4*
Place / Horse / Rider / Country / R1 Faults | Time / R2 Faults | Time
1. Ariso / Jordan Coyle / IRL / Elan Farm / 0 | 80.57 / 0 | 34.41
2. Javas Miss Jordan / Nicky Galligan / IRL / Nicky Galligan / 0 | 80.48 / 0 | 35.02
3. Cashew CR / Alex Matz / USA / Dorothy Matz / 0 | 81.210 / 0 | 35.410
4. Centriko Volo / Jordan Coyle / IRL / Celtic Park LLC / 0 / 78.400 / 0 / 36.090
5. Brego R’n B / Katherine Dinan / Grant Road Partners LLC / 0 / 80.710 / 0 / 38.150 6. Mendini Dr / Conor O’regan / Dynomite Ranch LLC / 81.320 / 0 / 40.330
7. Christiano / Amy Millar / Future Adventures / 0 / 78.120 / 4 / 36.070
8. Donner / Peter Leone / Lionshare Farm / 80.240 / 4 37.290
9. Agana Van Het Gerendal Z / Lillie Keenan / Chansonette Farm LLC / 0 / 81.010 / 4 / 37.570
10. Adamo / Molly Ashe Cawley / Louisburg Farm / 0 / 80.100 / 4 / 39.180
11. Truman / Amy Millar / Millar Brooke and Irish Oaks LLC / 0 / 78.550 / 8 / 35.960
12. Keoki / David Blake / Pine Hollow Farm / 0 / 82.530 / 8 / 37.900