The final feature class of the World Equestrian Center – Ocala NSBA Summer Series hunter/jumper sanctioned horse show kicked off early Sunday morning as 27 entries vied for the win in the $15,000 WEC Ocala 1.40m Jumper Classic. Guilherme Jorge an FEI Level IV course designer created the technical track that featured two tricky double combinations that tested multiple riders throughout the class. Eleven entries managed a clean first round and nine jumped double clear, but it was Olympic rider, Santiago Lambre and his own Doloris that took home the blue ribbon.
Lambre and the 13-year-old KWPN mare have had great success during the World Equestrian Center – Ocala NSBA Summer Series earning multiple top three finishes in featured classes. Lambre and Doloris (Harley VDL x Colinda D) produced a clean first round toward the end of the order stopping the clock at 73.961 seconds.
“I know her so well,” Lambre said. “I have owned her since she was five years old. She is very competitive and always wants to win when she steps into the ring.”
Lambre and Doloris advanced straight to the jump-off, starting off on a nice angle to fence one to land left to set them up for a nice gallop to two. The pair soared to the double combination to whip back around to fly through the remainder of the course, stopping the clock at 29.891 seconds for the win.
“It was nice to go toward the end of the class because I was able to watch many riders in the jump-off. My plan was to go fast and make up time in the turns. I took a very tight inside turn back to the second to last jump, I think that is where I had the class,” expressed Lambre.
Vanessa Hood and Take Two LLC’s Cascalretto received second place. Hood and the 9-year-old Holsteiner gelding entered the class near the end of the order producing a clean first round stopping the first round clock at 71.527 seconds. Hood and Cascalretto (Casall x J-Ohara) jumped-off immediately, jumping from fence one to two on a nice gallop to roll to the double combination. The pair galloped through the rest of the course to stop the clock at 30.834 seconds.
Juan M Gallego Martinez and Juan Pablo Betancourt’s Chaverto rounded out the top three. Martinez and Chaverto delivered a beautiful first round, jumping each fence with ease to stop the clock at 72.600 seconds. The pair advanced straight to the jump-off flying through the course, taking tight turns to stop the jump-off clock at 30.949 seconds, just behind Hood and Cascalretto.
$15,000 WEC Ocala 1.40m Jumper Classic Results:
1. Doloris, Santiago Lambre, Santiago Lambre: 0 | 0 | 29.891
2. Cascalretto, Vanessa Hood, Take Two LLC: 0 | 0 | 30.834
3. Chaverto, Juan M Gallego Martinez, Juan Pablo Betancourt: 0 | 0 | 30.949
4. Mick Jagger, Sharn Wordley, Sharn Wordley: 0 | 0 | 31.459
5. Adalberto Audi Scappino, Juan M Gallego Martinez, Eduardo Navarro Sanchez: 0| 0 | 31.831
6. Cornut Gp, Vicente Guillen, Rafael Celis: 0 | 0 | 32.482
7. Santauer, Vanessa Hood, Take Two LLC: 0 | 0 | 32.926
8. Chapeau Ps Z, Luis Pedro Biraben, Luis Pedro Biraben: 0 | 0 | 33.615
9. Chronicle, Megan Wexler, Golden Oaks Farm, LLC: 0 | 0 | 34.011
10. Ibabco, Stefano Baruzzo, Stefano Baruzzo LLC: 0 | 4 | 30.91
Camille Maddrix & Skyfall Top the $10,000 WEC Ocala Welcome Prix
Twenty-nine horse-and-rider combinations challenged a technical track in Saturday afternoon’s $10,000 WEC Ocala Futures Prix 1.30m-1.35m. Thirteen entries produced clear first rounds and ten jumped double clear, but it was Camille Maddrix and Caroline Michele Dugas’s Skyfall that captured the class win.
Maddrix and the 12-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding delivered a smooth and fast, clean first round in 72.198 seconds, well under the time allowed of 79 seconds.
“Beau [Skyfall], is owned by an amateur that rides with us, Caroline Dugas. I have probably had the longest partnership with him than any other horse that I have ridden. We bought him when he was 7-year-old from Kris Killam and Helen Jones of Top Horses LLC. We love him so much, he has so much personality and is very fiery,” said Maddrix.
Maddrix and Skyfall (Vigaro x Twi Light) advanced straight to the jump-off.
“From one to two in the jump-off, a couple of people did seven strides, but I ended up doing eight, because there was a tall vertical and I wanted him to jump up and over, rather than getting flat,” Maddrix detailed. “Then I did a long gallop to the green vertical to the double combination where I did ten strides. Other people did nine, but he is so fast and careful off the ground, I still was able to get the time with an extra stride. Then I was super quick back to the next jump and galloped to the last oxer.”
Maddrix and Skyfall soared through the timers to stop the jump-off clock at 34.852 seconds to earn the top prize.
Jennifer Walters and her own Loretto 199 (Lord Ludwigs x Zarina XVII) earned the second place prize. Loretto and the nine-year-old Holsteiner gelding delivered a flawless first round to stop the clock at 72.494 seconds. Walters and Loretto 199 jumped-off immediately, galloping from fence one to two to soar to the vertical. The pair flew through the rest of the course taking tidy inside turns to stop the clock at 36.224 seconds.
Third place honors went to Zoubair Bennani and Elizabeth Broaddus’s Vishnou Un Prince. Bennani and the 12-year-old Selle Francais gelding navigated a smooth and clear first round stopping the clock at 76.477 seconds. Bennani and Vishnou Un Prince advanced straight to the jump-off, soaring through the course taking multiple inside turns to stop the clock at 36.320 seconds to round out the top three.
$10,000 WEC Ocala Futures Prix 1.30m-1.35m Results:
1. Skyfall, Camille Maddrix, Caroline Michele Dugas: 0 | 0 | 34.852
2. Loretto 199, Jennifer Walters, Jennifer Walters: 0 | 0 | 36.224
3. Vishnou Un Prince, Zoubair Bennani, Elizabeth Broaddus: 0 | 0 | 36.320
4. Hickory Hbc, Justine Dutton, The Superman Syndicate LLC: 0 | 0 | 37.04
5. Charlotta II, Chloe Reid, Live Oak Plantation: 0 | 0 | 37.244
6. Malbec, Luis Pedro Biraben, La Cuadra Stables, LLC: 0 | 0 | 38.007
7. Filou’s Lady, Angela Covert, Nathalie Mathers: 0 | 0 | 39.443
8. Apollo De Beugner, Olivia Venezio, Olivia Venezio, 0 | 0 | 40.483
9. Skara Glen’s Para Bellum, Samantha Rice, Nrg Farm LLC: 0 | 0 | 40.584
10. Daxibus Normandy, Candice King, New Normandy Farm: 0 | 0 | 40.824
Photos courtesy of Andrew Ryback Photography.