Lexington, Ky.—Sept. 20, 2021—The U.S. Hunter Jumper Association is pleased to announce the 48 participants for this year’s USHJA Horsemanship Quiz Challenge Nationals, which will be held at Lake Erie College in Painesville, Ohio, November 12-14, and USHJA Adult Horsemanship Quiz Challenge Nationals, which will be held virtually October 18-30.
Congratulations to the following members who will be competing:
Horsemanship Quiz Challenge
- Devyn Borden, Richardsville, Va.
- Ava Cohen, Boulder, Colo.
- Kylie Cohen, Bloomfield Township, Mich.
- Megan Conway, Chittenango, N.Y.
- Hannah Dodson, Pegram, Tenn.
- Sophie Fendler, St Louis, Mo.
- Angelina Franzese, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Liliana Franzese, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Emma Friedman, Chiloquin, Ore.
- Katie Glass, Boulder, Colo.
- McKenna Goodson, Amherst, Mass.
- Vera Hannapel, Ankeny, Iowa
- Avery Hicks, Bullard, Texas
- Rebecca Hopkins, Northville, Mich.
- Ellie Kennedy, Anchorage, Alaska
- Sam Koeppel, Mount Sinai, N.Y.
- Ian McFarlin, Tallahassee, Fla.
- Genevieve Munson, Rogers, Ark.
- Raena Royer, Windsor, Colo.
- Lainie Rubin, Columbia, S.C.
- Ruthie Ruhl, Mt. Pulaski, Ill.
- Ariana Schneider, Clarksville, Tenn.
- Matt Tracy, Pennington, N.J.
- Taya Wykert, Thousand Oaks, Calif.
Adult Horsemanship Quiz Challenge
- Paige Anderson, Beaverdam, Va.
- Lisa Barnett, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Shannon Cole, Scarborough, Maine
- Ashley DeWoolfson, Warrenton, Va.
- Cynthia Flavin, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Laurie Gessel, Highland, Utah
- Lindsey Gibbons, Lexington, Ky.
- Kos Gilbert, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Stephanie Grissom, College Station, Texas
- Jennifer Hoge, Orlando, Fla.
- Kris Huber, Santa Clarita, Calif.
- Peggy Kline, Torrance, Calif.
- Stephanie Leddy, Findlay, Ohio
- Dawn Mazzaccaro, Montville, N.J.
- Delana McFarlin, Tallahassee, Fla.
- Lisa Munro, Longmont, Colo.
- Allison Pelzel, Fort Lupton, Colo.
- Sonya Svaty, Gurnee, Ill.
- Lynn Tetenbaum, Oakland, Calif.
- Carol Traver, Croton On Hudson, N.Y.
- Katie Van Horne, Woodland, Calif.
- Monica Waters, Johns Island, S.C.
- Lyssette Williams, San Diego, Calif.
- Sharon Zimmerman, Santa Clarita, Calif.
Lake Erie College will host this year’s HQC Nationals November 12-14 after successfully hosting the event in 2016 and 2017.
HQC Nationals is a multi-phase event that tests the top-scoring HQC participants who advanced through HQC Levels One and Two. The competition consists of a written exam, horsemanship/identification exam and a practicum exam. Scores from the written exam and the horsemanship/identification exam will be combined, and the 12 Individuals with the highest combined scores will compete in Practicum A on the second day of Nationals. Finalists ranked 13th-24th based on their combined scores will compete in Practicum B on the second day of Nationals but will not be eligible for prizes.
The Adult Horsemanship Quiz Challenge Nationals will be offered virtually October 18-30. The multi-phase event will consist of a written exam, an interview and a final practicum that will require participants to demonstrate their mastery of horsemanship knowledge across a variety of topics. Prizes will be awarded to the highest-scoring participants in each phase, as well as to the overall top finishers.
Various sponsor awards will presented after the competitions. The top three overall finishers at HQC Nationals will also receive training grants to continue their equine education, supported by the USHJA Foundation.
The USHJA extends special thanks to USHJA Official Sponsors CWD, Parlanti, Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital and Nutrena; Championship Official Sponsor Straight Arrow Family of Brands; Educational Supporting Sponsor Spy Coast Farm and SmartPak and Awards Sponsors Essex Classics and Boy O Boy Bridleworks.
The Horsemanship Quiz Challenge is supported in part by grants from US Equestrian and the USHJA Foundation. To help support the HQC program, click here to make a charitable donation today.
Learn more about the USHJA Horsemanship Quiz Challenge and USHJA Adult Horsemanship Quiz Challenge at ushja.org/HQC and ushja.org/AdultHQC.