Piper and Michael Tokaruk are joined by Sally Philippo and Vicky Castegren to talk about breeding sport horses in Canada and the United States. Brought to you by Taylor, Harris Insurance Services. Listen in!
GUESTS AND LINKS EPISODE 270:
- Link to Sound File for Sight Impaired: Click Here
- Hosts: Piper Klemm of The Plaid Horse Magazine and Michael Tokaruk
- Title Sponsor: Taylor, Harris Insurance Services, Taylor, Harris Insurance Services (THIS) was founded in 1987 to provide specialized insurance for all types of equine risk. THIS places their policies with the highest rated and most secure carriers, meticulously selected for reliability and prompt claims settlement. THIS is proud of their worldwide reputation for responsive and courteous service, and welcomes the opportunity to discuss your equine insurance needs and provide you with a quote.
- Photo Credit: Sally Philippo of RiverCross Farm
- Guest: Sally Philippo, Sally Philippo grew up in England and began riding when she was three years old. After taking a break from the horses to have her family, Sally bought her first horse when she was 37 and competed for five years in the Amateur Owner Hunter division. Sally then started RiverCross Farm and bred her first foal in 1997. Sally’s vision started as a small-scale operation to breed and train beautiful European warmblood hunter/jumper performance horses on her property in Eastern Canada. Sally is involved in all aspects of the farm’s activities including bloodline selection and overseeing the raising and training programs. RiverCross Farm evolved out of a love for beautiful horses and a desire to produce and develop a select number of top quality Warmblood sport horses using carefully researched European bloodlines. Sally and her team thoughtfully raise and train all their horses to prepare them for a career in the North American hunter/jumper ring, with a goal in matching their cherished horses with the right partners who will treasure them and achieve success in the equestrian show world.
- Guest: Vicky Castegren, Vicky Castegren is the owner of Hyperion Stud, LLC, a boutique breeding and sales operation dedicated to providing the American show jumping market with the best bloodlines from Europe in Barboursville, Virginia. Vicky began as a jumper rider and started in the breeding world on the side with a Dutch mare that she bought in foal. By 2008, Vicky had four mares but not the right facility for foaling, so in 2009, Vicky bought the property which would become Hyperion Stud, and later, her first stallion, Olympic Imothep. The stallion would go on to compete in World Equestrian Games, Nations Cups, and Olympic Games. In the past 10 years, Hyperion has expanded to a more global operation, breeding both in the United States, Germany, Holland, and Sweden.
- Subscribe To: The Plaid Horse Magazine
- Sponsors: Vitalize, Legends Horse Feed, Excel Supplements, OptiWize, Show Strides Book Series, Online Equestrian College Courses, Purina Animal Nutrition