Edited Press Release
Wellington, FL – March 18, 2022 – Another picturesque morning at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center (PBIEC) set the stage for a day full of competition during the Horseware Ireland-sponsored week 10 of the 2022 Winter Equestrian Festival (WEF). Alongside its FEI-rated four-star jumper classes and variety of national divisions, the week featured the rising stars of show jumping. Five-, six-, and seven-year-old future stars took center stage throughout the week in the International Arena leading up to the finals of the Developing Jumper Series held on Friday, March 18. The $25,000 Lövsta Future Challenge 7-Year-Old Developing Jumper Series Classic kicked off the busy day with a win for Beat Mändli (SUI) and Cinderella 770.
Forty-five of the sport’s best upcoming young horses put forward their best against Michel Vaillancourt’s (CAN) opening track with hopes of advancing to the jump-off for the top prize. Vaillancourt challenged them with several wide oxers and a triple combination that proved tricky for several. Still, an impressive total of 16 horse-and-rider combinations ultimately qualified for the short track. The field had representatives from nine individual nations in the jump-off. The group proved to be quick from the start, and the lead changed hands several times early on before settling with Mändli, who stopped the timers in 30.942 seconds.
“Today we had a very fast jump-off and a large one,” explained Mändli. “I was early in the returning order, but she had given me a good feeling in the first round so I just gave it my best shot.”
Bringing the young mare to this season of WEF was not originally in Mändli’s plans, but he now feels it has been beneficial for her.
“The plan was not originally to have her come, but I was a bit short on horses when I came over here and I had an extra stall, so I figured why not and shipped her over from Europe,” he stated. “I just wanted to play around with her a bit, but she has had a great season so far with a handful of double-clear rounds, and then obviously winning the final today. I didn’t have much of a plan for the jump-off; I just rode as neat and fast across the ground as I could without pushing her too hard.”
Luis Fernando Larrazabal (VEN) produced a solid performance with Leeann Ablin’s Baroness to take the second-place position. He and the Westphalian mare (Balous Bellini x Polydor) inched just over Mändli’s time after stopping the clock in 31.183 seconds. Great Britain’s Matthew Sampson and Cumberland Acres LLC’s KWPN gelding King Lepatino (Arezzo x Lord Z) earned the final victory gallop position with their clear-round time of 31.786 seconds.
Charlotte Jacobs and Pablo C Victorious in $15,000 North Star 6-Year-Old Developing Jumper Series Classic
There were 24 six-year-old combinations as the second class of the day. Vaillancourt structured the $15,000 North Star 6-Year-Old Developing Jumper Series Classic as an immediate jump-off where any pairs that emerged fault-free over the first round were then given the countdown and prompted into their short track. Nine entries managed to put forth a double-clear effort within the time, but none could beat the speed of Pablo C piloted by Charlotte Jacobs (USA).
Jacobs navigated the track sponsored by her stable with North Star’s Irish Sport Horse gelding (Pollux De Muze x Chino C) and easily produced the fastest time of 31.994 seconds.
“We got him from Barnadown Show Jumping in Ireland after having followed his career throughout the summer,” described Jacobs. “He is incredibly easy, fun, and careful. He is everything you would want in a show jumper.”
While having all the positive attributes, Jacobs explained that he is a bit bigger and slower than some of the other mounts. She then described the move she made in the jump-off that she thought paid off most.
“I had to be a bit creative in the jump-off, so I actually jumped a bush that was between the water and another jump to make up some time,” she said.
Pablo C was also the recipient of the Champion Equine Insurance Jumper Style Award, presented by Laura Fetterman, for her successful round with Jacobs in the class.
Matthew Boddy (GBR) rocked into second place with the Gotham Enterprizes, LLC’s SBS mare Rockette (Cool As Well x Liatos) adding just close to a second onto Jacobs’s time to finish clear over fences in a time of 32.464 seconds. David O’Brien (IRL) put Ireland into the victory gallop by clocking the third-fastest jump-off time with Headley’s Kinetic, owned by Leap Year, LLC. O’Brien stopped the timers at 33.296 seconds with the Warmblood mare (Kannan x Clinton).
Montana with Momentous Win in MSporthorses 5-Year-Old Developing Jumper Classic
Kevin Gallagher (IRL) rode Montana, a KWPN mare by Casall, to the win in the $10,000 MSporthorses 5-Year-Old Developing Jumper Series Classic.
The pair were one of five double clears in the field of 13, and their quick time of 31.832 seconds was enough to secure them the first-place finish.
“She’s inexperienced but she’s very careful,” said Gallagher of the North Star-owned youngster. “It’s easy to be fast when you know the horse isn’t going to knock the jumps down.”
Montana’s performance marked the second win of the day for North Star with Charlotte Jacobs also taking first in the 6-Year-Old class. Gallagher made note that Montana is one that has been with North Star since the start, while his partnership with the mare is new.
“I only started riding her a couple of months ago here; we help Charlotte so it’s her young horse,” said Gallagher. “They bought her as a foal and have produced her all the way up through now. She has gotten better and better every week so it’s an exciting one to do with her.”
The developing jumper series presents a learning opportunity for horses to compete against their peers.
“[This series] is brilliant,” noted Gallagher. “You get to jump in the best rings, the courses are nice, and they’re not too challenging. You can bring on a young horse easily.”
The second-place honors in the classic went to Bianca La Fontaine (CAN) with Mister Diamant VG owned by South Shore Farm, and third to Tyson Fury, owned and ridden by Laura Chapot (USA).
Final Results: $25,000 Lövsta Future Challenge 7-Year-Old Developing Jumper Series Classic
1. CINDERELLA 770: Brandenburg mare by Chetlag x Clarimo
BEAT MANDLI (SUI), Beat Mändli: 0/0/30.942
2. BARONESS: Westphalian mare by Balous Bellini x Polydor
LUIS FERNANDO LARRAZABAL (VEN), Leann Ablin: 0/0/ 31.183
3. KING LEPANTINO: KWPN gelding by Arezzo VDA x Lord Z
MATTHEW SAMPSON (GBR), Cumberland Acres LLC: 0/0/31.786
4. KATIMA: KWPN mare by Dakar VDL x Balou Du Rouet
LAUREN HOUGH (USA), Maarten Huygens: 0/0/32.082
5. BOLEYBAWN BELLA: Irish Sport Horse mare by Capri Van Overis Z x Andiamo Z
KEVIN GALLAGHER (IRL), North Star: 0/0/32.187
6. KALLAN: KWPN stallion by Kannan x Indoctro
LUIZ FRANCISCO DE AZEVEDO (BRA), Santa Cecilia Stables: 0/0/33.836
7. PACINO DI CABRA: Warmblood gelding by Corydon Van T&L
GONZALO BUSCA (ESP), Gonzalo Busca: 0/0/35.265
8. PASCO DOBLE SCF: BWP mare by Diktator VD Boslandhoeve x Cassini I
NICOLE SHAHINIAN-SIMPSON (USA), Riffle Hitch, LLC: 0/0/36.168
9. LAUSBUB 458: Hannoverian gelding by Lord Pizarro x Landor S
SUMMER HILL (USA), Summer Hill and Andrea Simpson: 0/0/39.017
10. QUIZ: Swedish Warmblood mare by Gamelus R
MOLLY ASHE CAWLEY (USA), H5 Sportpferde GMBH: 0/4/31.444
11. FURY D’ANGE: Selle Francais mare by Cap Kennedy x Cassini I ERYNN BALLARD (CAN), Ilan Ferder: 0/4/32.523
12. VDL ECLIPSE: KWPN gelding by Emerald V’t Ruytershof x Monte Bellini
SAMUEL WILSON (USA), Darragh Kerins: 0/4/34.03
Final Results: $15,000 North Star 6-Year-Old Developing Jumper Series Classic
1. PABLO C: Irish Sport Horse gelding by Pollux De Muze Z x Chino C
CHARLOTTE JACOBS (USA), North Star: 0/0/31.994
2. ROCKETTE: SBS mare by Cool As Well x Liatos
MATTHEW BODDY (GBR), Gotham Enterprizes, LLC: 0/0/32.464
3. HEADLEYS KINETIC: Warmblood mare by Kannan x Clinton
DAVID O’BRIEN (IRL), Leap Year, LLC: 0/0/33.296
4. EASTER LILY ODF: American Warmblood mare by Chill RZ x Quick Feuer Vankorkshof
MAGGIE JAYNE (USA), Alex Jayne: 0/0/33.846
5. GIGOLO DES FORETS: Selle Francais stallion by Vagabond De La Pomme x Diamant De Semilly
TONY CADET (FRA), Shore Acres Farm LLC: 0/0/33.968
6. KANKAN: Oldenburg stallion by Kannan x Quadros
BRITTNI RAFLOWITZ (ISR), ESI Show Jumpers, Inc: 0/0/34.279
7. RINGLEADER: BWP gelding by Lavallino Ter Klomp x Heartbreaker
KRISTY HERRERA (USA), Sharon O’Neill: 0/0/34.482
8. VDL LEGODERMUS PP: gelding by Harley VDL
ANTONIA PETTERSSON HAGGSTROM (SWE), Abdel Saïd: 0/0/35.121
9. HELL’S ANGEL 6: Westphalian mare by Hickstead White x Crawford
JESSICA LETO (USA), Jessica Leto: 0/0/40.162
10. LABYRINTH: American Warmblood gelding by Zirocco Blue VDL x Tangelo Van De Zuuthoeve
SARAH STURGES (USA), Sarah Sturges, LLC: 0/4/34.079
11. GUNPOWDER: Zangersheide gelding by Casino Berlin x Nabab De Reve
GWYNETH BABINGTON (USA), Kevin Babington: 0/8/34.687
12. EMOTION VAN’T LOZERHOF Z: BWP gelding by Emerald v’t Ruytershof x Amour
DAVID O’BRIEN (IRL), Postage Stamp Farm, LLC: 0/8/35.026
Final Results: $10,000 MSporthorses 5 YO Developing Jumper Series Classic
1. MONTANA: 2017 KWPN mare by Casall
KEVIN GALLAGHER (IRL), North Star: 0/0/31.832
2. MISTER DIAMANT Z: 2017 gelding by Diamant de Semilly
BIANCA LA FONTAINE (CAN), South Shore Farm: 0/0/33.853
3. TYSON FURY: 2017 Irish Sport Horse mare by Tyson
LAURA CHAPOT (USA), Laura Chapot: 0/0/34.532
4. MEDANA MAVERICK S: 2017 KWPN mare by Zapatero VDL
MICHAEL KOCHER (USA), Michael Kocher: 0/0/36.014
5. UPDATE: 2017 Warmblood gelding by United Touch S
STACIE AARSVOLD (USA), Stacie Aarsvold: 0/0/36.700
6. CEREUZA Z: 2017 Zangersheide stallion by Cornado II Z
TAYLOR FLURY (USA), Aliboo Farm Inc: 0/4/33.067
7. DIADOR: 2017 Hanoverian gelding by Diacontinus
CELSO ARIANI (BRA), Rodolfo Maya: 0/4/35.325
8. BALOU’S MIKOLA: 2017 KWPN gelding by Il est Balou
ISABELLA HARDING (USA), Heather Chechila: 0/4/39.417
9. MARLEY: 2017 KWPN mare by Irvington VDL
MARIO GARCIA (COL), Mario Garcia: 4/66.906
10. COOL RUNNING VDV Z: 2017 Zangersheide stallion by Cicero Z
TAYLOR FLURY (USA), Aliboo Farm Inc: 4/67.634
11. TIKTOK Z: 2017 Zangersheide gelding by Toulon
BROOKE KEMPER (USA), Platinum Life LLC: 4/68.67
12. MO MONEY: 2017 Canadian Sport Horse gelding by Un Diamant de Forets x Le Primeur
JIM IFKO (CAN), Eventyre Farms: 8/68.470