Edited Press Release
The $75,000 CaptiveOne Advisors 1.50m Classic CSI4* rounded out show jumping in the International Arena on Sunday of WEF 10. Vaillancourt’s final design of the week was an unbeatable challenge for many, and the class saw only eight combinations advance to the jump-off track. The large starting field included 58 horse-and-rider pairings from 15 nations, but only three of those countries would be represented in the jump-off. Challengers accrued faults in various areas throughout the tough track with the time-allowed of 76 seconds dashing the hopes of three entries and a combination of downed rails alongside additional time penalties disappointing the rest.
Ever the dominating force, McLain Ward (USA) was the first double clear with his newer mount, Kasper Van Het Hellehof. The lead would be short-lived however, as Ireland’s Shane Sweetnam upped the ante aboard the Triple S Group’s 10-year-old KWPN mare Holliewood (Nabab De Reve x Diva). Sweetnam however, would hold the title for mere minutes as his fellow countryman, Darragh Kenny (IRL), once again rode to the fastest time as he blazed forward into the lead with a time of 36.64 seconds.
“I thought today’s course was brilliant,” said Kenny. “Michel did a great job, and to be able to end up with only eight clear out of that large of a field was pretty impressive. The jump-off was always going to be quick, but I know he is a naturally fast horse. I just had to do my own plan and it worked out for us today.
Volnay Du Boisdeville, a 13-year-old Selle Francais stallion (Winningmood x Jalisco B), is yet another mount acquired through the Vlock Show Stables LLC for the Irishman.
“I took over the ride on this horse in the middle of the summer and just took it slow to build up a partnership with him,” he finished. “He was brilliant for Teddy [Vlock] when he had him, and it’s starting to go well for us. He jumped clear in the WEF Challenge this week, and he was just fantastic today so I am very happy with him.”
The victory gallop was poised to be all-Irish until the USA’s Lillie Keenan battled her way into the boys club as the final contender on course. Keenan piloted her highly-successful partner Skyhorse, a 15-year-old BWP gelding (Calvaro F.C. x Quidam de Revel), to the spot directly behind Kenny with a tight time of 37.20 seconds. Daniel Coyle (IRL) bookended the Irish podium as he stepped into the third-place position aboard Ariel Grange’s 14-year-old Holsteiner gelding Oak Grove’s Carlyle (Casall x San Patrignano Corrado).
Final Results: $75,000 CaptiveOne Advisors 1.50m Classic CSI4*
1. VOLNAY DU BOISDEVILLE: 2009 Selle Francais stallion by Winningmood x Jalisco B
DARRAGH KENNY (IRL), Vlock Show Stables LLC: 0/0/36.64
2. SKYHORSE: 2007 BWP gelding by Calvaro F.C. x Quidam de Revel
LILLIE KEENAN (USA), Chansonette Farm LLC: 0/0/37.20
3. OAK GROVE’S CARLYLE: 2008 Holsteiner gelding by Casall x San Patrignano Corrado
DANIEL COYLE (IRL), Ariel Grange: 0/0/37.61
4. HOLLIEWOOD: 2012 KWPN mare by Nabab De Reve x Diva
SHANE SWEETNAM (IRL), Triple S Group: 0/0/38.08
5. KARLIN VAN’T VENNEHOF: 2010 BWP mare by Fantomas De Muze x Quasimodo Van De Molendreef
LACEY GILBERTSON (USA), Seabrook LLC: 0/0/38.49
6. KASPER VAN HET HELLEHOF: 2010 BWP stallion by Emerald x Nabab De Reve
MCLAIN WARD (USA), The Kasper Group LLC: 0/0/39.32
7. CASSINA Z: 2010 Zangersheide mare by Casado v’t Gelutt Z x Lux
PETRONELLA ANDERSSON (SWE), Stephex Stables: 0/4/38.29
8. VINCI DE BEAUFOUR: 2009 Selle Francais gelding by Diamant De Semilly x Heartbreaker
SAYRE HAPPY (USA), Devon Macneil: 0/4/41.54
9. LAZZARO DELLE SCHIAVE: 2009 MIPAAF gelding by Acodetto 2 X Gluecksgriff
TOM WACHMAN (IRL), Coolmore Show Jumping: 1/76.48
10. NIKKA VD BISSCHOP: 2013 BWP mare by Emerol NOP x Nabab de Reve
NINA MALLEVAEY (FRA), Rein Family LLC: 1/76.74
11. LEGOLAS TER WILGEN: 2011 BWP stallion by Emmerton x Chin Chin
EMILIE CONTER (BEL), Stephex Stables: 1/76,82
12. DON VITO: 2008 KWPN gelding by Quaprice Bois Margot x Jus De Pomme
LORENZO DE LUCA (ITA), Poden Farms: 4/70.64