Piper and Traci Brooks are joined by accomplished blind amateur rider and author Lissa Bachner to talk about her book, Milo’s Eyes, and David Distler to talk about his journey in the equestrian world from in-gate starter to show manager to Olympic judge and FEI Steward General. Brought to you by Taylor, Harris Insurance Services. Listen in!
GUESTS AND LINKS EPISODE 283:
- Link to Sound File for Sight Impaired: Click Here
- Hosts: Piper Klemm of The Plaid Horse Magazine and Traci Brooks
- Title Sponsor: Taylor, Harris Insurance Services, Taylor, Harris Insurance Services (THIS) was founded in 1987 to provide specialized insurance for all types of equine risk. THIS places their policies with the highest rated and most secure carriers, meticulously selected for reliability and prompt claims settlement. THIS is proud of their worldwide reputation for responsive and courteous service, and welcomes the opportunity to discuss your equine insurance needs and provide you with a quote.
- Guest: Lissa Bachner, Lissa Bachner is a renowned, award-winning blind equestrian and author of the book, Milo’s Eyes. At the age of three, she was diagnosed with two rare immune disorders which attacked her eyes, leading her to lose her left eye and most of the vision in her right eye by the age of 30. Despite the crippling diseases, Lissa never lost her passion for riding and has been ranked among the country’s leading amateur equestrians, winning 4 national rankings, 10 zone rankings, 82 nationally ranked classes and 118 top 3 placings.
- Guest: David Distler, David Distler has devoted nearly 5 decades to the sport of show jumping. David’s career has seen him serve in most every role and has seen him rise from in-gate starter to show manager to Olympic judge and FEI Steward General. David has been part of 5 Olympic Games as a judge, FEI Steward, Event Coordinator and a starter. David has also been part of 3 World Equestrian Games as a judge and co-manager and 13 World Cup Finals as a judge, Ground Jury president, Steward, manager and a starter. David has served as manager of several of the country’s biggest and most important horse shows including the USET Show Jumping Olympic Trials, the Devon Horse Show, Washington International Horse Show and the National Horse Shows, as well as the Winter Equestrian Festival and the USEF Show Jumping Talent Search. Highly respected for his honesty and integrity, David is regarded as one of the leading show jumping judges in the world. He has served on the jury at some of the world’s most prestigious events including the Spruce Meadows Masters, the Dublin Horse Show, the Olympia Horse Show and the Pan American Games, in addition to the FEI World Cup™ Finals, World Equestrian Games and Olympics. David also serves the sport through his leadership roles with its major organizations including serving many years as the FEI’s Steward General for show jumping and as chairman of the USEF Show Jumping Committee. David was also inducted into the Show Jumping Hall of Fame in 2020.
- Subscribe To: The Plaid Horse Magazine
- Sponsors: Vitalize, Excel Supplements, Show Strides Book Series, Online Equestrian College Courses, Purina Animal Nutrition, Alexis Kletjian, America Cryo and American Equestrian School