Edited Press Release
Wellington, FL – August 3, 2022 – Mark Bellissimo, managing partner of Wellington Equestrian Partners, LLC (WEP), announced an initiative to transform Wellington into the “Equestrian Capital of the World” for sport, commerce, and lifestyle.
2022 was a record year for jumping, dressage, and polo in Wellington. The events attracted more than 5,000 families from 50 states and 43 countries and contributed an estimated $200 million of annual economic impact to Palm Beach County. With success, come challenges and need for re-invention driven by the growth of the events, new market demands, new competitors, and the significant migration of full-time residents to South Florida driven by the global pandemic.
- The jumping and dressage events are rapidly outgrowing their venues and require significant improvements to support demand and to elevate quality standards. If not addressed, competitors with newer, larger venues will challenge Wellington’s stature as the premier destination. Our equestrian venues and the events are at the core of our success.
- Equestrian Village, the current home of dressage and specialty showjumping events, is not ideally located, creating operational conflicts and inefficiencies of moving thousands of people and hundreds of horses across Pierson and South Shore daily throughout the winter. This dynamic creates high levels of unnecessary traffic conflicts and inconveniences to both participants and residents who traverse Pierson and South Shore Blvd.
- Significant lack of integrated residential options. The vast majority of Wellington’s housing options were built before 2000 and Wellington is almost at full build-out. There is high demand and limited inventory for a broad range of golf-cart accessible residences which would enhance event experiences, reduce traffic, and draw more participants and residents.
- There are limited commercial lifestyle options including restaurants, hotels, co-shared office space, and retail options that support the world-class nature of the events. To compete with other venues and communities we need to enhance our offerings as quickly as possible to present the finest experience for our participants and a provide a platform to engage all Wellington residents.
While WEP has strategically sold over 300 acres over the last year to equestrian-related entities Global Equestrian Group (GEG) and the United States Polo Association (USPA), it still owns over 550 acres in Wellington. Bellissimo commented, “Our goal is to layout a comprehensive vision for our equestrian properties based on market needs and feedback from many constituents. The goal is to ensure that our venues are world-class and there is sufficient residential and commercial infrastructure to support a successful equestrian industry for the next 50 years and beyond.”
A master plan dubbed “Wellington 3.0” has been submitted by WEP in cooperation with the Global Equestrian Group to the Village of Wellington (VOW) outlining a series of initiatives to ensure Wellington’s long-term success and competitiveness. An agreement between WEP and GEG includes a proposed sale of 80 acres of land to GEG to support a showgrounds expansion contingent on a zoning change for that land. GEG has already purchased part of the land identified for expanded dressage and jumping showgrounds from WEP-related entities. The plan, drawn from years of operating experience, feedback from festival participants, spectators, residents, and village/county leaders, as well as a 2021 survey from Wellington’s Equestrian Preserve Committee (EPC), intends to accomplish the following:
- Protect, expand, and enhance Wellington equestrian venues by ensuring that each equestrian venue is world-class and secure for generations to come through a transition from personal venue ownership to long-term institutional ownership. This application would effectively double the showgrounds footprint around the existing Wellington International (WI) showgrounds, expanding the footprint from 86 to 190 acres by converting 104 currently residentially zoned acres into Commercial Equestrian zoned land. Some recent initiatives of the Wellington 3.0 strategy include the sale of Equestrian Sport Productions (ESP) and Palm Beach International Equestrian Center (since renamed to Wellington International) to GEG and the recent sale of the International Polo Club to the United States Polo Association. These efforts transfer the core venues into the hands of well-funded “stewards” with long-term global visions to enhance the venues and expand the sport. GEG’s development plans include a single integrated showgrounds for dressage and show jumping as well as a new stadium, covered arena, a large grass competition arena, permanent structures for stabling and retail, and increased parking.
- Develop high-quality residential options in proximity to the showgrounds. Despite economic challenges, interest in Wellington residences remains unabated. Demand is at an all-time high and inventory is at an all-time low. The plan incorporates existing residential density (199 units) within the Wellington Country Place PUD (172 acres of land abutting the WI showgrounds). Secondly, it would convert 96 acres of commercial equestrian into pure residential at Equestrian Village thus matching the aforementioned conversion of residential into commercial abutting the showgrounds. There would be no commercial elements at Equestrian Village as all commercial elements would be across South Shore Boulevard which is outside of the current Equestrian Overlay Zoning District (EOZD). A 5.3-acre parcel at the corner of Lake Worth and South Shore Boulevards, currently in the EOZD, would be converted from full commercial to residential. A pedestrian/golf cart bridge crossing South Shore at Pierson would be accessible by all residents and encourage the use of golf carts, bicycles, and pedestrians to safely access a dedicated pedestrian walkway and golf cart path north of Pierson connecting the showgrounds entrance thus reducing traffic and increasing safety for participants and spectators alike.
- Integrate and connect the broader community through an equestrian downtown that will be accessible to all Wellington residents and event participants that includes restaurants, retail, office, and hospitality. It will include cultural events, demonstration areas, and support pedestrian traffic. All of this commercial activity will be located North of the Saddles Shops Plaza and west of South Shore on existing zoned commercial land owned by WEP that is not located in the EOZD. This marketplace will be an economic cluster in support of attracting global equestrian businesses and participants who require hospitality, agile/shared office space, and world-class restaurants and retail.
GEG CEO Andreas Helgstrand commented, “GEG is committed to the Village of Wellington and the equestrian community. The showgrounds expansion will require significant investment which will ensure the finest equestrian facility and the highest-quality events in the world.”
Mark Bellissimo added, “Wellington is one of the most unique equestrian destinations in the world. As a full-time resident, my passion for this community is enduring. I am hopeful these 3.0 efforts will resonate with equestrians and non-equestrians alike as we work together to take the steps to make it a phenomenal year-round destination.”
This Post Brought to You by:
Taylor, Harris Insurance Services (THIS) was founded in 1987 to provide specialized insurance for all types of equine risk.We place our policies with the highest rated and most secure carriers, meticulously selected for reliability and prompt claims settlement. We are proud of our worldwide reputation for responsive and courteous service, and we welcome the opportunity to discuss your equine insurance needs and provide you with a quote.
- Access to multiple underwriters
- Leader in the U.S. and European markets
- Customized policies provide you with a choice
- Trusted advisors in the equestrian industry
- Direct access to insurance professionals
- Policies that cover every breed and discipline across all 50 United States