By Catie Staszak for Thunderbird Show Park
Two jumps in to Anderson Lima’s 1.40m track in the CSI3* tbird Challenge, Sebastien Devrainne (FRA) knew he had to reset. His mount, the 10-year-old Selle Francais gelding Carre D’as Lili was getting a bit strong heading toward the first combination on course, so he took a moment to regain some rideability.
It was only smooth sailing from there.
Devrainne would go on to jump one of just three double-clear rounds on the day to take the win, the first international victory of his career. His winning time was 45.62 seconds. Katie Kruger (CAN) and Goodwill VB finished second (47.22 seconds), with Kennedy Ellingson (CAN) and Coeur de Riccerole VG Z third (48.23).
“Everything kind of pretty much came up in stride in the jump-off,” Devarinne said. “I ended up just going along with the flow, going along with the stride and then just honestly by luck, it kind of paid off for me.
“It’s my first FEI win with [my horse], and the first for myself personally,” he added. “So it’s really fantastic.”
Devrainne has made all of his career international starts at Thunderbird, making his debut with a then 8-year-old Carre D’as Lili in the fall of 2020 after importing the bay earlier that year. In their time together, Devrainne has come to appreciate both a competitive partner and a kind companion.
“In the ring, he’s game on. He will get to the gate and get a little antsy, get a little ready-to-go. I kind of get him rolling and once he’s in the game, he’s looking up to whatever comes next,” he said. “Even at home, he knows when we jump, but he’s super easy to hack. He loves his stretching, he loves going around the property. On the ground, he’s a puppy dog. One of his tricks is that he’ll tilt his head and stretch his neck, asking for scratches.”
Devrainne went out on his own last fall, starting his own Devrainne Performance Horses and moving into a new barn in Kelowna, BC, earlier this spring. The move has quickly produced results.
“So far, I’m lucky that everything is falling into place really nicely.”
$8,800 CSI3* tbird Challenge 1.40m
- Carre D’as Lili / Sebastien Devrainne / FRA / Sebastien Devrainne / 0/0 45.62
- Goodwill VB / Katie Kruger / CAN / Caledonia Stables / 0/0 47.22
- Coeur de Riccerole VG Z / Kennedy Ellingson / CAN / Kennedy Ellingson / 0/0 48.23
- EZ Ace / Justin Prather / CAN / Justin Prather / Bradon Equestrian Ltd / 0/4 45.85
- Fair Katie VDH / Maddy Riddle / CAN / Brian Vander Helm / 0/4 47.31
- Marquis le Beau Courally / Claire Doty / CAN / Claire Doty / 0/8 49.19
- Aladin des Brimbelles / Lisa Carlsen / CAN / Jenna Lee Gottschlich / 0/9 60.9
- NKH Carrido / Brooke Morin / USA / Strasburg Morin Inc. / 0/WD
- Indigo van de Muggenhoek / Zume Gallaher / Blue Gate Stables LLC / 2 77.47
- Larima / Katie Kehring / USA / The Kehring Family / 4 71.66
This Post Brought to You by:
Whitethorne LLC always carries a number of high-quality Hunters, Jumpers and Equitation horses for sale or lease in Southern California. All of these horses are personally chosen by Georgy Maskrey-Segesman and her partner in Germany, and represent some of the best competition horses available in Europe for every level of competition in Hunters, Equitation, and Jumpers. Georgy travels to Europe several times per year and together with her partner in Germany, selects the best of the horses available in Germany and Holland and several other countries in Europe, and imports them to Whitethorne Ranch where they are available for sale or lease.