After topping the Canadian Hunter Derby at the Summer Fort Classic, Quinn Partridge (USA) and Chaperone upped the ante and recorded their second straight derby victory at Thunderbird Show Park, this time in the Foxstone Stables USHJA International Hunter Derby.
Partridge and Emma Lorimer’s 12-year-old gelding topped the premier event of tbird’s World Championship Hunter Rider (WCHR) week. Their winning score was 368. Nicole Bourgeois (USA) finished second and third with Mc Queen (363.5 points) and Wayfinder (351), respectively.
“Two for two!” Partridge exclaimed. “Not bad!”
While last week’s victory was via a one-round competition, on this occasion, the two-round format of the USHJA International Hunter Derby played to Partridge’s advantage. She and her mount returned for the handy sitting in third before setting themselves apart in the second round.
“In the first round, I thought [Chaperone] was a little impressed, which sometimes carries over to my nerves. [It did], which obviously reflected in my score and is why we didn’t return [for the handy] on top,” Partridge explained. “Overall, I was pretty lucky in that first round and was happy to come back and do the handy.”
Course designer Meghan Rawlins’ tracks efficiently spanned the expanse of the double-ring Grand Hunter Arena, with an array of beautiful, eye-catching jumps that encouraged stylish jumping.
“It’s so wonderful to jump in this double ring and have all this space. Meghan Rawlins did a fabulous job of utilizing the space without over-exerting the horse,” Partridge said. “[The courses] showcased those that could jump big jumps well, like with the haybales in-and-out combination.”
As the Latin adage goes, good things tend to come in threes. Partridge is hoping so, as she and Chaperone head next to the USHJA International Hunter Derby Northwest Regional Championship in Wilsonville, OR.
“Anywhere you can showcase a good hunter is a great opportunity,” she said.
$25,000 Foxstone Stables USHJA International Hunter Derby
- Chaperone / Quinn Partridge / USA / Emma Lorimer / 169/199 368
- Mc Queen / Nicole Bourgeois / USA / Barbara Lovre / 169/194.5 363.5
- Wayfinder / Nicole Bourgeois / USA / Hilary Sosne / 152/199 351
- Copacabana / Dustin Goodwin / USA / Hannah Scheuer / 165/184 349
- Light My Fire / Ashley Arnholdt / Jennifer Arnoldt / CAN / 154/177 331
- Carnet / Emily Cake / CAN / Emily Cake / 154/173 327
- Pierre / Samantha Smith / USA / Jennifer Riley / 157/167 324
- Lestat OLD / Ashley Arnoldt / CAN / Jennifer Arnoldt / 146/169 315
- Clarimero T / Kate Walkington / CAN / Kate Walkington / 149/155 304
- Africa ZF / Samantha Smith / USA / Rachel Ash / 159.5/140 299.5
- Casalito’s Boy / Kalima Ngobi / CAN / Kalima Ngobi / 144/141 285
- Verdict / Joie Gatlin / USA / Alexis Meadows / 172/97 269