Edited Press Release
Santiago Lambre (BRA) knew he had some speed demons following him as first to go in the $37,000 CSI3* Speed, so he didn’t leave anything to chance. In the first FEI class of the Traverse City Horse Fall Tournament of Champions, he piloted Comtess 202, owned by Mario Onate, to a blazing-fast finish in 60.84 seconds, a time that no other pair could catch.
Lambre has had the ride aboard Comtess 202, Mario Onate’s 11-year-old Westphalian mare (Comme Il Faut x Pilot), for a year and a half and has already accumulated top placings internationally. Onate purchased the horse from Ludger Beerbaum’s stable and the mare has not disappointed.
Over a track set by Michel Vaillancourt (CAN), 21 entries tried their hand at catching the top spot. The course proved difficult as only seven pairs navigated to clear efforts.
“I was number one with Comtess and I knew I had fast riders behind me,” Lambre said of his strategy going in first. “Sometimes it’s good to go in the beginning and try my best.” His best involved leaving out strides wherever possible and turning tightly around the winding track.
When asked whether he expected someone to catch his time, he said, “Always a chance. Shane Sweetnam and Samuel [Parot] are always dangerous, but in the end there weren’t so many clear rounds.” Lambre was correct regarding who he thought might come close, but incorrect about just how fast they would go. Parot (CHI) claimed second and third places with Captain Z and Buga Z, respectively, and Sweetnam (IRL) ended up fourth with Birdy du Thot.
“I love to come here to Traverse City,” Lambre remarked during the first week of his three-week stay at Flintfield horse Park. “It’s beautiful weather and the facility is amazing. They’re improving every year. I’m going to stay three weeks until the [American] Gold Cup and for sure will come back in the future.”
Results: $37,000 CSI3* Speed
1. COMTESS 202: 2011 WESTF mare by Comme Il Faut x Pilot
SANTIAGO LAMBRE (BRA), Mario Onate: 0/60.84
2. CAPTAIN Z: 2012 ZANG gelding by Calvino Z x Voltaire
SAMUEL PAROT (CHI), Samuel Parot: 0/62.72
3. BUGA Z: 2010 ZANG gelding by Chester Z x Quality Touch Z
SAMUEL PAROT (CHI), Samuel Parot: 0/62.80
4. BIRDY DU THOT: 2011 SF mare by Magic D’Elle x Le Tot De Semilly
SHANE SWEETNAM (IRL), Ashley Vogel: 0/65.30
5. IVARO N: 2013 KWPN gelding by Elvaro x Celano
LISA GOLDMAN-SMOLEN (USA), Barbara Disko: 0/67.64
6. INAJOTTIE WB: 2013 mare by Carrera VDL x Indoctro
SAMANTHA MACKENZIE, Samantha Mackenzie: 0/69.90
7. MANHATTAN VAN’T LEEUWERIKENHOF: 2012 BWP gelding by Emerald x Kashmir Van Schuttershof
FILIP DE WANDEL (BEL), Five Way Farm LLC: 0/70.09
8. SOVEREIGN: 2006 SF stallion by Frontal x Galoubet A
LISA GOLDMAN-SMOLEN (USA), Barbara Disko: 4/64.16
9. QUIMI DEL MASET: 2014 CDE gelding by Quasimodo Z x Indred del Masset
DANIEL BEDOYA (BOL), Monica Hanks: 4/66.20
10. CHRYSTAL BLUE: 2011 OLDBG gelding by Chacco Blue x Calvaro Z
SAMUEL PAROT (CHI), Ilan Ferder: 4/68.33
11. KIRSCHWASSER SCF: 2010 BWP gelding by Amaretto D’Arco x Nabab De Reve
FREDDIE VAZQUEZ (PUR), Freddie Vazquez: 4/69.09
12. SIERRA: 2010 DWB mare by Stolzenburg x Lambrusco ASK
ELIZA LEHRMAN (USA), Five Way Farm LLC: 4/69.33
This Post Brought to You by:
Taylor, Harris Insurance Services
Taylor, Harris Insurance Services (THIS) was founded in 1987 to provide specialized insurance for all types of equine risk.We place our policies with the highest rated and most secure carriers, meticulously selected for reliability and prompt claims settlement. We are proud of our worldwide reputation for responsive and courteous service, and we welcome the opportunity to discuss your equine insurance needs and provide you with a quote.
- Access to multiple underwriters
- Leader in the U.S. and European markets
- Customized policies provide you with a choice
- Trusted advisors in the equestrian industry
- Direct access to insurance professionals
- Policies that cover every breed and discipline across all 50 United States