To listen to the Plaidcast, you can use the player below, Stitcher, Spotify, iTunes, Google Play Music, or your other favorite podcasting app!
Piper speaks with renowned Olympic Three-Day Event rider Boyd Martin about his illustrious career and how he approaches this sport. Brought to you by Taylor, Harris Insurance Services. Listen in!
GUESTS AND LINKS EPISODE 310:
- Host: Piper Klemm, Publisher of The Plaid Horse
- Guest: Boyd Martin began riding at a young age in his native Australia. Boyd won his first CCI4* (now known as CCI5*) at the 2003 Australian International Three-Day Event riding True Blue Toozac. Boyd moved to the United States in 2007 to further his career as an eventing professional, serving as the assistant trainer to Olympian Phillip Dutton for two years before starting his own business and also began riding for the United States in 2009. Boyd is a three-time Olympian, representing the U.S. in London in 2012, in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and in Tokyo in 2020. Boyd is a four-time U.S. Eventing Team member for the FEI World Equestrian Games/FEI World Eventing Championships, most recently capturing team silver at the FEI Eventing World Championships in Pratoni del Vivaro, Italy in September. With Pancho Villa, he was a member of the U.S. team that won gold at the 2015 Pan American Games and in 2019, he won team and individual gold at the Pan American Games with Tsetserleg TSF. In 2021, Boyd won the inaugural Maryland 5 Star with Christine, Thomas, and Tommie Turner’s Anglo European mare, On Cue, becoming the first American to win a CCI5* since 2008. Martin has twice been the USEF CCI5*-L Eventing National Champion at the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event, in 2019 with Tsetserleg TSF and in 2021 with On Cue. He was named USEA Rider of the Year in 2021 and On Cue was named USEA Horse of the Year the same year. Boyd finished fourth overall at the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event in 2022, becoming the USEF CCI5* Eventing Reserve National Champion with Tsetserleg TSF. In May, he won the CCI4*-L at the Tryon International Equestrian Center with the Annie Goodwin Syndicate’s Federman B. Boyd and his wife, Grand Prix dressage rider Silva Martin, own and operate their farm, Windurra USA, which is a world-class training facility sitting on more than 75+ acres in the heart of Pennsylvania hunt country.
- Title Sponsor: Taylor, Harris Insurance Services (THIS) was founded in 1987 to provide specialized insurance for all types of equine risk. THIS places their policies with the highest rated and most secure carriers, meticulously selected for reliability and prompt claims settlement. THIS is proud of their worldwide reputation for responsive and courteous service, and welcomes the opportunity to discuss your equine insurance needs and provide you with a quote.
- Photo Credit: Shannon Brinkman Photo
- Subscribe To: The Plaid Horse Magazine
- Sponsors: Purina Animal Nutrition, America Cryo, American Stalls, LAURACEA, BoneKare, Show Strides Book Series, Online Equestrian College Courses, With Purpose: The Balmoral Standard, and American Equestrian School