Not many of us know, but horse riding is not just a sport. However, if you observe closely, you will see that this is an activity that requires a harmonious partnership between a rider and his/her horse. So, we can say that horse riding is a physically demanding sport.
This article will shed light on a crucial topic that we often overlook, which is the role of supplements that horse riders consume to stay fit and healthy.
We will also discuss the importance of the physical and mental health of horse riders which is essential for building a strong connection between them and the horse. So by mentioning the best supplements for horse riders, we provide ways you can elevate your horse rider’s overall performance and take this sport to new heights.
Common challenges that horse riders face
Following is a list of some common challenges that horse riders face during the training and the performance.
Over time constant riding and jolting on the back of a horse can really take a toll on horse rider’s joints. Issues regarding joints can limit the performance of riders. Thus, riders need to make sure that they stay healthy and ensure optimal joint functioning.
One of the biggest challenges a horse rider faces is muscular fatigue which is the result of certain riding movements, sitting on horseback, and posting. Addressing this challenge is essential to make sure that riders maintain effective communication with the horse.
Staying physically fit is not the only challenge a horse rider has to overcome. However, riders need to make split-second decisions and constantly communicate with their horses. All of this can result in mental fatigue or concentration lapses.
7 Best Supplements for Horse Riders
must know that we are only offering an overview of the beneficial supplements and you must not consume any of those in an unhealthy manner. The best way to take any of the mentioned supplements is by consulting a dietician who will create a balanced diet plan for you as per your needs.
Following are a few of the most useful supplements any horse rider can get.
Protein is one of the fundamental components that is essential for muscle growth and repair after a long day of horse riding. This is why we emphasize that riders should prioritize protein supplements in their diet. Following is a list of just a few benefits that horse riders can get from proteins:
- As we know, protein is essential for muscle recovery, and it helps riders bounce back from intense training sessions.
- It is a fundamental building block for muscle development, just like a brick is to a house. Thus, proteins provide overall strength and endurance to the body of a horse rider.
- If you already have strong muscles, your chances of preventing serious injuries are reduced a lot. Moreover, even if you get an injury, a protein-rich diet will help you a lot in the recovery.
- Proteins build a strong immune system in the body.
We all know that glucosamine is a natural compound that is present in the cartilage. It is also one of the biggest supporters of proper joint function. Thus, a balanced diet that contains glucosamine is highly effective in naturally reducing joint pain in horse riders.
- Omega-3 fatty acids
Horseback riding often takes a toll on joints and muscles, resulting in inflammation and pain. Here comes omega-3 fatty acids as a savior, and their anti-inflammatory properties do their magic. Following are also a few of the great benefits you get from an omega-3 fatty acids-rich diet.
- An instant boost to joint health by promoting flexibility and reducing stiffness.
- You might not know, but Omega-3 fatty acids play a crucial role in improving the human brain’s cognitive functioning, which promotes better communication between the horse and the rider.
- You get better cardiovascular health due to a healthy blood flow in the body.
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is also one of the most beneficial supplements for horse riders. It not only supports better joint health for riders but you will also see that it promotes overall well-being. The anti-inflammatory properties of MSF are great for reducing stress and strain effects on joints. Moreover, it also reduces discomfort after a long training day.
MSM is also believed to reduce cartilage degradation in the body by promoting collagen production. Collagen is also essential for ligaments, tendons, and other connective tissues, all of which have to be healthy so that a rider can stay fit and perform well.
Magnesium plays a vital role in the mental and physical well-being of the rider and, thus, is an essential supplement to staying fit. The supplements have the potential fo directly handle a few of the challenges in your body.
- You see a positive change in your muscle functions and feel more relaxed after starting a magnesium-rich diet.
- Apart from muscle relaxation, magnesium is also helpful in promoting mental calmness.
- Magnesium is effective in supporting better joint health because it helps in the absorption of calcium in the bones. Strong bones, strong you, it is simple as that.
- Magnesium is also involved in the overall process of energy production and utilization. It helps the food that we eat to convert into energy and thus provides the riders with the endurance they need on the field.
- Minerals and Vitamins
Minerals and vitamins are considered among the best supplements horse riders can ever lay their hands on. Both of these play a pivotal role in supporting overall health and addressing the specific body needs of riders. Following is a list of benefits you get from minerals and vitamins:
- You get an overall nutritional balance in your body, which helps you engage in physically demanding activities.
- Calcium and magnesium are famous minerals that support muscle contraction and relaxation.
- Vitamin D and K are known for their role in forming strong bones.
- B Vitamins, including B1, B2, folic acid, etc, are integral to energy metabolism.
- Both minerals and vitamins are essential for a healthy immune system of the horse rider.
- Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is often considered one of the best supplements that support a strong and flexible joint. Ridin can result in wear and tear of joints over time. However, if you consume hyaluronic acid or inject it directly into your system as per your doctor’s recommendation, you can clearly reduce the joint issues and pain.
This acid naturally lubricates the joints by promoting synovial fluid in the rider’s body. As a result, it will improve the flexibility and motion range of riders which is a must when you perform on the field. Moreover, hyaluronic acid plays a crucial role in the building and functioning of cartilage. All of these benefits will result in injury prevention and ensure that the rider and the horse stay fit during the sport.
In conclusion, we can say that the journey of a horse rider goes way beyond his saddle. However, this journey also includes maintaining a healthy physical and mental connection of the rider’s body and mind.
A horse rider will only perform well when he/she is healthy and communicating in a positive way with the horse. We can achieve this level of perfection by addressing the issue and including the above-mentioned supplements in the rider’s diet.
So, make an appointment with your dietician today and figure out a perfect and balanced plan with all the mentioned supplements to start an adventurous and healthy horse riding experience.