On Saturday afternoon, 30 entries took to the WEC Grand Arena to contest the $10,000 WEC Ocala Futures Prix 1.30m-1.35m. Tucker Williams built the technical track, which featured a challenging triple combination that caught many riders throughout the class. Eleven entries produced a clean first round and only four jumped double clear, but it was Dorothy Douglas and Davenport Farm’s MTM Pablo that snatched the blue ribbon.
Douglas has had previous success on MTM Pablo (Perigueux x Celina) winning Week III’s $15,000 WEC Ocala 1.40m Jumper Classic. Douglas and the eight-year-old Warmblood gelding were one of the last few pairs to enter the class, delivering a very nice first round jumping to the top of the standards to stop the first-round clock at 74.869 seconds.
“My goal was to jump three on a little bit of a bend so I would already be landing right to get to the next jump,” Douglas said. “Mike [McCormick of MTM Farm] is always telling me I need to choose where I want to land, not just where I take off.”
Douglas and MTM Pablo flew through the course, making up ground when it was possible.
“After the in-and-out, I opened up my left hand to go left, and I ended up getting eight strides to the last fence.” The pair soared through the finish stopping the clock at 36.869 seconds to earn the win.
Second place honors went to Marcus Gruenthal and Infante SK, who were early leaders in the class. Gruenthal and the eight-year-old Dutch Warmblood gelding jumped a fast and clean first round stopping the clock at 70.926 seconds, well under the time allowed of 79 seconds. Gruenthal and Infante SK advanced straight to the jump-off galloping through the lines and taking tight inside turns to stop the jump-off clock at 37.737 seconds being the first rider to jump double clear.
The third place finishers, Bryn Rose Sadler and Cezarro (Cesaro x Nabell) who were last week’s $10,000 WEC Ocala Futures Prix winner, delivered two smooth rounds. Sadler and Cezarro delivered a fast first round leaving all rails up, stopping the clock at 71.329 seconds. Sadler and the 13-year-old Bradenburg gelding jumped-off immediately, taking very tight inside turns to stop the clock at 37.760 seconds, just behind second place finishers Gruenthal and Infante SK.
$10,000 WEC Ocala Futures Prix 1.30m-1.35m Results:
1. MTM Pablo, Dorothy Douglas, Davenport Farms: 0 | 0 | 36.869
2. Infante SK, Marcus Gruenthal, Marcus Gruenthal: 0 | 0 | 37.737
3. Cezarro, Bryn Rose Sadler, Showcase 81, LLC: 0 | 0 | 37.760
4. Malbec, Luis Pedro Biraben, La Caudra Stables, LLC: 0 | 0 | 40.781
5. FCF Sailor Man, Christina Webb, Fox View Farm: 0 | 4 | 36.983
6. Con Spirit, Nathalie Petschenig, Nathalie Petschenig: 0 | 4 | 38.081
7. King Clooney, Antonio Martinez, Emilio Mantero: 0 | 4 | 38.261
8. MTM Cedrik, Dorothy Douglas, Nina Moore: 0 | 4 | 38.269
9. Con Top, Luciano Dome, Florencia Masri: 0 | 4 | 39.377
10. Bandessaro, Candice King, Deanna Morphy: 0 | 8 | 42.411
Photos courtesy of Andrew Ryback Photography.