Multi-directional Impact Protection System helmets, or MIPS, have become increasingly more popular in the equestrian scene. Now, well known companies are starting to use this technology in a variety of helmets to bring this safety mechanism to all riders.
Invented in the 90’s by Swedish brain surgeon Hans von Holst and doctoral student Peter Halldin, MIPS has been used in equestrian, motorcycle, bicycle, skiing, climbing, and safety helmets since the early 2000s. Formerly adopted by only a few brands of equestrian helmets, MIPS helmets have become popular recently and companies have begun to make more affordable and accessible helmets with this technology.
MIPS technology is designed to lessen the impact of rotational motion in a fall. This model works by using a low-friction layer inside the helmet that allows for a slight movement to reduce the likelihood that the rotational motion will affect the brain. As MIPS has increased in popularity in the equestrian sport, companies have started introducing models at varying price points to offer this technology to all equestrians.
- Troxel Terrain Horse Riding Helmet with MIPS Technology: $142.45 This horse riding helmet’s innovative safety system features MIPS® technology: a lightweight, low-friction layer inside the helmet that allows a multi-directional movement of 10-15 mm on certain angled impacts. The movement provided by this inner layer helps reduce rotational force to the rider’s head in the event of a fall. The Terrain’s highly-ventilated, feature-rich design pairs with the lightweight MIPS safety system for protection that is cool, comfortable and stylish.
- Back on Track Eq3 Smooth Top Riding Helmet: $249 The EQ3 Smooth riding helmet is equipped with MIPS safety system, to help protect against brain injury. Large ventilation holes provide good air flow to help keep you cool during riding sessions. The liner (inner lining) has our Coolmax® technology that keeps you dry and gives a pleasant feeling by wicking away moisture. The liner is removable and can be easily washed and cleaned with lukewarm water.
- Charles Owen MY PS Helmet with MIPS: $319 Incorporating MIPS technology into a stylish Charles Owen helmet, the My PS is unique in the industry as it offers three certifications to three international equestrian standards: SEI certification to ASTM F1163-15, Kitemarks to VG1 01-040 2014-12 and PAS015:2011, and a CE mark to VG1 01-040 2014-12. With an outer shell made of high impact ABS plastic, the My PS gives riders the elegant look of a Charles Owen helmet infused with modern style and a deep fit. Ten ventilation slots, a removable headband and six-point leather look harness help to tick all the boxes of a truly modern, innovative riding helmet. It is available in regular and round fit.
- Tipperary Windsor: $400 The Windsor with MIPS® is an elegant traditional brim helmet appropriate for the show ring. The Windsor offers a full-coverage fit and a low-profile design, featuring the Tipperary Retention System™ to ensure additional security and comfort. Finished in a stunning mark-resistant matte shell, smoked chrome trim, this helmet is subtle yet eye-catching. With the addition of MIPS®, this helmet is on the cutting edge of technology. Offered with both a traditional and wide brim and in multiple colors to suit your needs.
- Tipperary Devon with MIPS: $429 The Devon UltraMatte with MIPS is an elegant traditional brim helmet appropriate for the show ring. The outer shell provides full coverage, and the interior provides an unbelievably comfortable fit that can be locked in place with the Tipperary Retention System.
Reputable brands are continuing to integrate MIPS technology and put new helmets on the market. Regardless of the safety elements in each helmet, the easiest way to make sure your head is safe in an emergency is to find a helmet that fits your unique head appropriately! Trying on helmets and working with someone who understands the importance of fit will allow you to keep your head safe and determine the best helmet option for you.